Sunday, January 16, 2011

Making the most of it...

Within months of moving into the house we discovered that we needed: new wiring, new plumbing, a new kitchen, new bathrooms and a new heating system. None of this was a big surprise but the cost to replace it all was...

We made the repairs our modest budget would allow, we repaired the roof, some of the electrical system, we installed a pellet stove and we had the bathroom moved to a more convenient location not that having the bathroom in a tiny, walled off, part of the den was inconvenient...but having everyone sing very loudly whenever anyone wanted to use the "facilities" became exhausting.

Our money ran out pretty quickly so we spent the next year "camping" out in the den. My two youngest children thought it was great. I was not so pleased as my kitchen consisted of one electric ring, a microwave and a toaster oven. I made three meals aday in that tiny "kitchen" including several holiday meals and three birthday cakes. I did treat myself to a mini fridge (our large, modern fridge having been left for the people who bought our old house).

It would be three years before I would get a new kitchen range...

No comments:

Post a Comment