Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All she needs is a little lipstick...

I recently received a letter from my insurance company. It seems that they have decided to do a "drive by" to check on the exterior of my house. Should said exterior not meet with their standards, they will not be renewing my insurance. Both my home and my personal exterior need some work. I have been putting off painting the outside of the house until I could get the inside together (um, sort of the way I have been delaying the hair cut I so desperately need, buying new clothing or losing weight).

Replacing some cracked siding and painting the house was something I knew I should have tackled last summer, but fear got the better of me. I had it on my list of things to do this coming Spring but, of course they would decide to view my home now, in the middle of January, when the whole world is frozen. The house looked better a few weeks ago but since then the (once pretty) snow on my front lawn has been turned a delicate yellow by my dogs and I am in the middle of a turf war with my next door neighbour.

After my initial panic attack I have come to a conclusion: I am going to cancel my coverage before they can cancel it for me. I know, it's a risk, but I can use those monthly premiums towards buying the paint to get the job done. I have been unhappy with my insurance company for some time and so I have chosen to see this setback as an oportunity to find a new one. Looking back on the past years worth of bills I see that my policy has jumped from $60 a month to $91.25... yet my local Realtor insists that house prices have dropped significantly...so why would the insurance company feel that my house would suddenly cost more to replace in the event of a fire?

I spent much of the day on the Sherwin Williams site looking for paint colours, is it just me or do the new palettes seem to have been created by colour blind morons? I just can't see painting my house tan with yellow trim and pale blue doors. Tomorrow, while the kids are at their library group, I will take a look at Lowes to see if they have anything I can live with. Lowes is going to be cheaper of course. Paying upwards of $80 a gallon (for exterior paint) is not in my budget right now.

Maybe while I am out I will treat myself to something new...the house isn't the only thing in need of a little tlc. Good thing I don't have life insurance - they might have decided to do a drive by too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment