Monday, February 14, 2011

The North Wind Doth Blow....

Our local weather station just announced that we have more cold weather on the way. Will this winter ever end? November and December were both record months with temperatures way below normal. January was bitter and February has been a month of snow and ice. I know the groundhog saw his shadow but Spring seems so far away.

This past weekend, instead of spending time working on the wide plank floors in my second kitchen, I went to the walk-in clinic (part of our local hosptital). I had awakened Saturday morning with a bloody eye. As the eye had suffered no trauma I wasn't sure what was going on. Could it be connected to the headaches I had been experiencing the past few days? Could it be what my mother always termed, "cold in my eye"? This house has certainly been frigid this year.

The walk-in center staff was unprofessional to say the least. The LPN on duty kept announcing (to those in the waiting room) that there was nothing wrong with any of the people "back there". The place looked like it hadn't been cleaned this year and there were butt prints in the paper from the last person to use my room. And so, after almost two hours (and offending both the LPN and the PA when I tore off the offending paper before sitting down)I left, none the wiser as to why my head ached, my right eye was bloody and my vision fuzzy.

Still smarting with indignation, I arrived home to find that the pellet stove, our only means of heat, had broken down. Two days of trial and error repairs revealed that I now need a new motor...maybe. I'm not completely sure. A new motor will cost $150 and a new stove will be over $2,000. I have to believe it is a new motor I need. But first I have to pay the property taxes and the water bill.

Then, on Sunday evening, my children came home to tell me that their father had taken them to lunch to inform them of his marriage....two years previous; and how he is planning another wedding (in April) so that his American family could attend this time. The no-so-new (and never blushing) bride then informed everyone that she is pregnant but would have prefered a Summer baby.

Later that evening, huddled up together amongst the blankets and the tears, I tried to convince them that they would always be first with me. That it didn't matter if their father had remarried and was starting a new family. Then I refilled the kerosene heater and we drank hot chocolate in silence, each of us wrapped in our own thoughts...

And I wonder why my head hurts and my eye is bloody....

No comments:

Post a Comment